Tenant Experience

/
0 Comments

Throughout our real estate life, my husband and I have always rented out the basement suite of our house (5 tenants in total over 6 years). I feel that this experience has equipped me with much of the tools that I need to successfully find and keep a good nanny (advertising the posting, interviewing, relationship building etc). We took a more unconventional approach with our tenants; rather than building the typical “business” relationship based on transaction, we chose candidates for tenancy who would “fit” with our family and contribute to a sense of community in our home. This always worked out very well for us. Each time we would post our apartment for rent, we would get some eye rolls from family and friends as we posted an in-depth personalized ad about our family, but each time, those personalized ads attracted exactly the type of person that we wanted to rent from us. Similarly, we went well out of our way to provide a welcoming atmosphere for tenants; we provided a welcoming gift complete with lots of local artisan products, homemade baked goods, and a map of the area, and we even drove our last tenant around the neighourbood when she arrived from Montreal. She never forgot that and has always told us to this day how much she appreciated it. Despite people sometimes telling us that we didn’t need to do these things (my hubby once drove one tenant to the airport in the middle of the night), we felt strongly that we didn’t just need to do them, but we wanted to because generosity is the foundation for sound relationship building. I will be taking the same approach to finding our nanny and building a relationship with her. Check out the DIY and Relationship Building sections of the blog where I’ll be posting stories as I go about the ways that I’m connecting with our nanny and building that relationship.  



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!