SUNDAY'S STORY CORNER: A leap of faith and never a look back

/
0 Comments
The goal of Sunday's Story Corner is to share warm fuzzy stories for all of the parents out there in need of a little reassurance. Maybe it's just the camp person in me, but I LOVE sharing positive stories. 

This week's story comes to me, personally, at a very important time. You see, as I'm writing this blog to support all of the parents out there who are embarking on a journey with a nanny, I'm embarking on that journey too. Sometimes in life, things don't always go our way. Stories come across our ears that are disheartening, and nerve-wracking, and while things don't always work out as we might hope, and everyone gets some bad luck once in a while, I want to share with you a story that should serve to remind us all that there is a LOT of good in the world. 

This week's story comes to us from Tessa. Tessa lives in Toronto and has three children. Here is her story:

Our kids had always been daycare kids, but we found ourselves moving to a new neighbourhood, with half-day kindergarten for my eldest and a nanny was the only way to go. After two nanny share arrangements fell through, we were on our own with the clock ticking down to September. Friends gave suggestions of nannies their friends had used, or relatives of their nannies -- but nothing was clicking. As newbies to the nanny world, we were flying blind, but trusting our guts. One night I happened to be scrolling through a neighbourhood blog and a posting by a nanny caught my eye. An ECE grad with limited nannying experience, but a love of children and of teaching through play.

After an interview -- conducted jointly with another family whose son was going into SK and would come to our house in the afternoons -- we jumped in together. Committed to open lines of communication in an arrangement that was new to all of us.

We loved our nanny and, most importantly, our children loved her. She spent all day with my 3 year old daughter while the boys were at school and they developed a special bond - snuggling on the couch in the mornings to talk about the day ahead, scraping her barely-there hair into the tiniest of ponytails (and photographing it for me), and filling the day with little rituals that I still hear about and try to keep up!


One of my most wonderful memories: when I was in the hospital on Easter Monday recovering after delivering my third baby, our nanny took the older two out for a special day. They picked out gifts for the baby and had lunch, and then decorated the front walk and windows for me and baby Pippa. Arriving home to such an incredible welcome was overwhelming. I put the baby bucket seat with our tiny new girl in it on the floor in the living room, and the nanny and me and the older kids all circled round, in love. 

Our nanny is with another family now and the kids are back in daycare, but we are so grateful to have met her and have had her care for our children. It was an amazing experience.

Hopefully this story gave you a warm fuzzy feeling. If you'd like to pay it forward by sharing your own warm fuzzy story, write to me! I welcome success stories of all kinds about your live-in (or live-out) nanny experiences!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!