STEP 5: DEVELOP an Employee CONTRACT

/
4 Comments

Developing a sound employer/employee contract is important for any type of job, but particularly when hiring a nanny because it's required as part of your LMIA application. Did you know that developing your own contract can mean longer processing times for your LMIA application?! When you write your own contract the Federal Government needs to enlist a lawyer to compare the document to their standard contract and ensure that it measures up, so use the free template (click HERE) provided by the government to ensure a speedy processing time.

Drawing up the contract is pretty straight forward and in fact, the government even provides a guide on how to fill in the template contract document. While it's not necessary to have the original document signed by both parties upon submitting it for the LMIA (but it will be required when your future nanny applies for their visa), I had our future nanny sign it and scan/email it to me so that I could include the scanned signature to put my mind at ease.

The contract that's necessary for the LMIA application really only covers the basics, but I would recommend putting together a document that covers all of the household specific items; rules (for example: will the nanny be allowed to have guests over to your home etc), expectations, specific tasks etc. This document should be included in the binder/booklet (template coming soon!) that you create and provide for your nanny upon his/her arrival or beforehand if you so choose.

Other questions about writing the contract?...just ask.


You may also like

4 comments:

  1. Hi, could you provide the link to the sample contract with nanny from the government? I clicked on the link in your post and it doesn't work…need some help with the contract template as I am going through the process…TIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, sorry about that. The link changed with the website updates that happened along with the reform. Here is the new link (I have updated it in the post as well): http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lower_skilled/employment_contract.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have a copy of your contract template please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is a link to the contract template in the post. :-) We used the free government-provided one.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!