Email EMAIL and more email...and Skype!

/
0 Comments
So you've selected your nanny...congrats! Hopefully you shared the good news with the successful candidate over Skype (if out of country), in person, or by phone because you certainly don't want to miss out on the joy that someone experiences when they are picked for a job (especially one that means coming to Canada if they're not currently here). So this is all very awesome and exciting, but the buck doesn't stop here. Presumably if you're sponsoring a nanny, there is about 4-8 months between now (when you've picked them) and when they'll arrive to join your household, so what now? It's very important to foster relationship building with your nanny and that should start now. Don't wait until the nanny arrives to make them feel like they are part of the family, and to show them how excited you are for their arrival (working on a fresh look for their bedroom?...send them some pics or maybe some colour chip options...or check out my DIY section for ideas). Relationships don't materialize out of thin air; they are developed over time when both parties put intention and effort into getting to know one another, showing consideration, and demonstrating kindness.

I have been emailing frequently with our nanny; asking her about how her day is, sharing photos of our neighbourhood, and little stories about Logan and our family. I started out by sending her an email with photos of our extended family introducing everyone (since we are very close to our family and spend a lot of time with them). Then I was so excited when she responded with photos of her family as well! It was the first time I felt a little spark...a connection with the person who will be living in my home, and caring for my dear son.

I sent her photos of our local library (it's been all redone and looks quite nice) because she mentioned that she loves going to the library, and shared photos of the Beach where she can take Logan for walks.

I've Skyped with her spontaneously too, just to see how she is and chat a bit. Next I plan on arranging semi-regular Skype dates and I've really been enjoying our email communication.

Remember, relationships are reciprocal so try to find ways to open the door to communication with this individual. The goal is to make your future nanny feel at ease and comfortable to begin building a relationship. This will support his or her transition upon arrival as they will feel supported by a family that they already know.

Happy emailing, texting, phone calling, snail mailing, Skyping or the like!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!