OUR STORY: Verbal LMIA Approval

/
2 Comments
I just had the most exciting game of phone tag today with the FWP (Foreign Worker Program) office!! Yesterday I received a confirmation of fee processing for the LMIA application, a mere two weeks after submitting it! I also received a call and voicemail from a very friendly woman named Sonya from the FWP office. Well today we proceeded to play an enthralling game of phone tag and I reached her this morning. She asked a few questions about my application (I'm speculating that this is to confirm that I had in fact been at the helm of the application, and not used a third-party without disclosing it), and then she gave me the green light! We received the verbal approval, and she said that we'll receive the approval letter in the mail next week!

Tomorrow I will express post the signed contract to our future nanny, and the remaining documents that she needs (the approval letter, and our financial statements) will be emailed to her (Sonya said that emailed copies are fine) next week when the approval letter gets here!

I had heard that the LMIA application can take anywhere from 8-10 weeks, but had heard horror stories of it taking up to 12 weeks. I am pleased to say that assuming the letter does arrive next week, it will have been three weeks start to finish for the LMIA application and Service Canada deserves a big high five for that one!


Next up: our nanny will apply for her work permit once she receives the documents from us. How exciting!


You may also like

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn!
    CONGRATS on getting the green light on your LMIA application! So exciting for your family. You must be so relieved.
    I have even more questions for you, and I just wanted to say that you've been EXTREMELY helpful to me already. I really appreciate how much time you've taken to respond to my questions to date. Here goes:
    1) What did you put as your rationale for the job offer to a foreign live-in caregiver and how did you explain how it would meet your employment needs?
    2) What benefits did you indicate you'd be providing (disability insurance, dental insurance, extended medical insurance, pension, other benefits)?

    Thanks again!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! I'm glad to hear that you've been finding Nanny&Me so helpful. Here are the answers to your questions:

      1) I think the best thing to do here is just to think about why a nanny, in particular, is the route that your family is going. For us the main rationale was that we need flexibility. My husband works freelance and I have the flexibility to work from home, so we needed the option of having childcare where the hours are constantly changing week to week, but there are lots of other reasons why someone might choose a live-in nanny; perhaps doing pick-up/drop-offs to a daycare or home care is challenging, or a family may have a specific parenting approach (like attachment parenting) that they would like employed when caring for their child, etc. In terms of meeting a need, we mentioned that a live-in nanny enables us to have someone providing quality 1:1 care for our child, in the setting of our home and at an affordable rate. My best advice on the LMIA is to be as honest and thorough as possible. This is only based on my experience and what provided me with a sense of reassurance, and I suppose, the fact, that mine was also approved and approved quickly.

      2) We will not be providing additional benefits such as dental, but we checked off "extended medical insurance" and explained in the right hand/"other" column that we were referring to the extended medical insurance that we will provide during the OHIP waiting period of 3 months (which is mandatory).

      Have a great day and happy reading. :-)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!