OUR STORY: Announcing...our nanny!

/
0 Comments
Well the day is finally here to announce who we've chosen as our future nanny! I can hardly believe it. After screening over 100 applications, conducting two rounds of rigorous interviews, and having lots of time to think and reflect, we are thrilled to share with you that we have chosen our future nanny and her name is Genette!

Genette was a strong contender from day one. She has a sweet, quiet nature that is so sincere. From the very first time we laid eyes on her cover letter, we felt a connection. Genette wrote a very personal cover letter that shared with us a bit about her family, interests, passion for children, and experience. When we were screening applications, we only considered applicants who provided a cover letter, and those (it was a small number) who provided cover letters as strong as Genette's were what we called our "front runners". I remember the first time I read her cover letter to my husband (Mike), he was nodding reassuringly, and then we got to a part near the end where it cited that Genette knew how to cook Indian food because she had worked for an Indian family in the past, "I'm in", was all Mike said with a gleaming smile. After reading her cover letter we were so excited for the prospect of what was to come.

The first time that we interviewed Genette, she warmed our hearts. She was so nervous which we found endearing because it demonstrated the type of sincerity that we were looking for in someone. She was so overwhelmed that she shed a little tear and this resonated with me in a profound way. You see, I always cry...I cry when I hear warm fuzzy stories, I cry when I see kindness, I even cry when I watch a heartwarming commercial...and I nearly always find myself crying in professional situations; business meetings, a successful performance review, and most of all...interviews. I'm not kidding, just ask me about something that I'm really truly committed to (like my work) and you're guaranteed a least a little misty eyed moment. When I was younger, I was brutally insecure about this; I thought it was unprofessional, but with time, I've really embraced this as part of me. During my pregnancy, I was in a business meeting with my former boss and she announced a new project that was coming my way (that I was very excited about) and I shed a tear of joy. She said, "awww pregnant tears", and I replied by telling her that it would be easy to pass them off as pregnancy emotions, but really they're just Jenn emotions. Now back to Genette, in that moment, both Mike and I really saw something that we valued...sincerity, vulnerability, openness.

During the second round interviews, we interviewed some very strong candidates. There were four second round interviews in total. There were four incredible individuals, but all very unique from one another. There was one candidate who was very bubbly, and vivacious and although I thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with her, we still found ourselves drawn to Genette's soft, but (I think) quite playful, and silly personality. Genette comes across slightly more timid at first, but her competence, experience, and personality really shine.

In some ways it was a hard decision because it's hard to offer just one person the job when there are four truly amazing candidates. We kept saying that we really would be lucky to have any one of them, but in the same breath, it was so easy to pick Genette. She is hardworking, kind, honest, and playful (among many other wonderful traits) and she has already impressed us from her keen organizational skills in preparing documents for the LMIA and work permit application, to her industrious efforts in reading up on vegan cooking and lifestyle.

We know that Logan will be in good hands spending his days with Genette and we cannot wait to welcome her into our home!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!