Our Story: Update - Think Positive Thoughts for Us!

/
0 Comments
Well a few days ago we got some startling news. When our future nanny applied for her work permit she did so alongside a group of co-applicants all under the guidance of a Hong Kong based consultant.  We received word that one of the women in this group was denied her permit approval. I don't know many of the details, nor is it any of my business, but suffice to say that I am more than a little nervous now. I didn't really know this could happen after receiving a positive LMO (aside from the obvious parameters like police checks etc)!

The first thing that crossed my mind was sadness for  both the family awaiting their new nanny, and the nanny who has been denied her opportunity to come to Canada. My heart sank thinking about the family and their nanny. We are so very excited to welcome our future nanny into our home, and not just because we look forward to having the support with Logan and around the house, but because we have gotten to know her and are genuinely excited for her to join our household. I can't imagine what the family is going through both with regards to now arranging childcare when they had probably invested the last year into this process, and also the emotional stress of having their plan completely derailed. It would be quite devastating to find out that the person with whom you wanted to entrust your child's care had been denied the opportunity to do so. I should say that I understand why we have parameters around applications, and I don't know all of the details, it just seems like an unfortunate happenstance that one can have their LMIA approved and then have the permit denied.

Before selecting our future nanny, we were careful to make sure that she qualified for entrance to Canada (ie. had adequate training and work experience), and we also double checked that we met all of the requirements (household income etc). Even though she and we met all of the requirements, I can't help but panic when I hear about someone being turned down. Our future nanny and her co-applicants all used the same consultant so that also worries me. I would have assumed that using a Hong Kong based consultant would ensure their application acceptance since one would think that she would have warned them ahead of time if they didn't meet all of the requirements, or one would hope that she would.

Amidst all of this news, I did discover that while I submitted my 2012 and 2013 notice of assessments with her permit application, I submitted my husband's 2011 and 2013 (gasp!). Now theoretically this shouldn't matter since my income meets the requirements, but I am very worried nonetheless. In order to subside my anxiety, I amended our application documents by submitting my husband's 2012 notice of assessment via an online submission tool, as well as through an email provided by our future nanny.

I am asking all of you, my readers, to send us some super positive vibes! On the bright side, the fact that one of the applications was already processed from the bunch is great news as maybe we will get to welcome our nanny into our home sooner than we think, but on the down side, I am feeling like we're hanging in the balance. It's out of our hands now, so think good thoughts everyone!

Crossing my (sadly) un-manicured fingers and my toes...


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

The 411 on Nanny&Me

I am SO excited to have my son, Logan, provided with the one-on-one care of a nanny in our home. The process of recruiting and keeping a nanny seems intimidating at times and there are so many things to think about and consider. The goal of my blog is to support, encourage and empower parents who are considering and pursuing the path of a nanny.

Nanny&Me provides free resources and information that will support you in finding, selecting, and keeping a great nanny. Nanny&Me will also share our family's journey on the road to building a strong and positive relationship with our nanny.

About Me

My photo
Hi! (not sure the exclamation mark was necessary, but I'm just excited to say hello). My name's Jenn. I am a passionate mom, non-profit executive, real estate hobbiest, and athlete. I'm an enthusiastic person with a growth mindset. I love learning and growing every day!